Thursday, November 8, 2007

Some random thoughts on race week

So I am riding down on the course in Clearwater this week and a cop car rolls up slowly beside me. I do a quick mental check; Did I roll through a red light or cut someone off? But as he pulled even I look over and hear "Good luck this weekend Sam - kick some butt again". Getting recognized on my bike with helmet and glasses on is a pretty uncommon occurrence for me, so I felt like a rock star when he pulled me over and asked for a photo for his buddy. Cool.
Did some interviews and the press conference today. That's when you know the race is really here; that's when the butterflies start. You get to know the media guys and race organizers after a while, so just seeing certain people triggers a Pavlovian response of race nerves. Welchy is always good to cut the tension and he was throwing down the gauntlet today. He offered me a cool grand if I could eat the entire menu at MacDonald's. I was pretty hungry so I thought about it for a few seconds longer than I should have. I'm a little on the competitive side so I'll pretty much try my hand at anything that seems like a challenge. I wonder where I would have gotten stuck, the triple thick shake or the fillet-o-fish..... Maybe on Sunday, okay Greg?
That reminds me of another good bar bet that's pretty much a sure thing : Challenge someone (after a few beers usually works best) to eat 4 saltine crackers in 40 seconds, no water. It can't be done - everyone gets to 2 crackers and chokes up. Its a good laugh and an easy way to pay your bar tab at the end of the night.
On another note, If you want to check out something cool, go to Riseabovebarriers.com It's the blog of my friend Jasper Blake - he and his brothers and a team of 14 people are taking his mom (who has MS and is in a wheelchair) up Mt Everest. Pretty incredible - I'm rooting for you Jaz.
later,
Sam

5 comments:

Adamo said...

Hey Sam,

You win for longest blog names :)
Great reads, thanks for the updates. I'm sure if is a nice "thing to do" during the interminable taper period.

Have a great race. We're cheering for you on the left coast.

Marc-André said...

Allo Sam,

It's really nice to be able to follow you on your blog.

Kick some... on Saturday.. I will follow the race via internet.

Cheers

Marc-André

sue fraser said...

Hi Sam: Good luck tomorrow! It looks like the conditions race day will be ideal. The changes to the courses are big improvments and will only help us all out there...yes,I said us... I'm "participating" so I'll see you out there.
I'm off to swim!

Unknown said...

Hey Sam,
You're the best kind of rock star...the kind that doesn't know it!!

Have a great race, I know others are affraid to say it but I'm not...kick some butt!!

Joë.

Ian said...

Hey Sam,
Have a good one tomorrow, we'll be watching in St.Kitts!
Cheers, Ian