Saturday, November 10, 2007

Race Day

Wow, that was an epic race. What a way to end the season with my second, 2nd place at a World Championship in a month.
To be honest, coming into the race I was not even sure if I could complete the run. I have been dealing with some injuries and recovery issues ever since Kona so until about 3 days ago I was debating even starting in Clearwater. But in the last couple of days I was feeling really relaxed and figured I would just give it a go and be happy with whatever I could do on the day.
My swim was definitely lacking and I didn't have great legs on the bike. I rode hard but still came into T2 very far back from the early leader Julie Dibens (man that girl can ride!).
I headed out for the run thinking maybe I could run myself into a top 5 - that would have been a great result. I started a little slow and worked into the run and just got stronger as the day went on. I was running on fumes by the second lap, but I was catching girls the whole way so that fueled me on. If there is one thing that comes from doing Kona 4 weeks ago is that it makes you freakin' tough. I dug in for the last lap and ran myself up to 2nd in the last couple of miles. I still can't quite believe that I did it. Mirinda Carfrae was awesome today - she would have been tough to beat even with fresh legs. She is a very deserving World Champion.
So that's it - end of the season. Kona was the big race of the year and this was pure icing on the cake. I am thrilled with the result and am looking forward to enjoying some time off now.

11 comments:

HE said...

great job Sam,
you looked terrific out there, commentary wise I think Welchy forgot that you've overcome 8+ minutes on the run before. those who know the ferocity inside you knew from the get-go! great prep & execution, we wish you all the best and hope to see you soon (somewhere warm!!!!)

Patrick Michel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrick Michel said...

You are the best in my book!!! Excellent job!
By the way, did you get my email regarding the photo shoot? You can email me at : p.michel@3ameternal.com

Patrick.

It behoofs us said...

Hey Sam,
Congrats on such a gutsy performance!! It's quite a thrill that you set the bar so high on all your races!

Great Job!!
-a

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

Great job Sam!
I was cheering for you during the whole run! Enjoy your off-season. You really had a stellar season and I can't wait to see you race next year.

BreeWee said...

Yea Sam! See you in Kona for Honu?????

Adamo said...

what a year chica-BRAVO!!!!
Now enjoy some R&R

Herbert said...

What a great season you have had this year. Wow.

Ana Lidia Borba said...

Another amazing race, Sam! You really deserve all these great results in this past two years!
By the way, the photo I took with you and Mirinda came pretty good and I'll be probably publishing it to my website's blog, ok?
See you in a few races next year... Who knows - maybe I'll even draft you on the swim leg! (lol)
And if you want a warm place to practice, why don't you try Brazil? After some time here, Kona won't seem more than 'a little warm' to you next year...

Ramon Serrano said...

Congratulations Sam, your dedication paid off! You are one of my favorites, always smiling :-)! I wish you a lot of health in 2008. I got some nice pictures from Clearwater i already sent them to Eli from Zoot and to your webmaster but would like you to have them too... let me know where can i send them!
Ramon,
Puerto Rico
ramser1@gmail.com

Jetlag-Man said...

This is another Ramon -from Spain- to congratulate you on your great season. Thanks for being such an inspiration.
Have a good rest and all the very best for 2008, both personally and professionally.